The original Carbonara recipe
What’s the story of Spaghetti alla Carbonara ?
They were born in Vicolo della Scrofa, one of the most characteristic streets of Rome rich of symbols. Here, in one of the poor trattorie, the first Carbonara was cooked, in 1944. The story narrates about the meeting between the sole ingredients available among the american soldiers and the great fantasy of a Roman cook. The result was a dish of Spaghetti alla Carbonara; eggs, bacon (then, guanciale) and grated cheese.
PREPARATION: 15 minutes
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 35 minutes
PORTIONS: for 2 persons
CALORIES: 245 kcal
200 g pasta
5 egg yolks
Grated pecorino romano (sheep cheese, not parmesan) enough
Black pepper, enough
Guanciale (it’s pork cheek, not bacon) enough
- Boil salted water.
- Thinly slice your guanciale into stripes and cook it slowly to let its fat “sweat” the oil.
- Once it’s a little crispy, take it off the pan and put it on a dish keeping its dissolved oil in the pan. We will use it later on.
- With the fire off, add pepper and keep the pan aside.
- Meanwhile, break the eggs and put the yolks in a bowl adding pecorino cheese till it’s completely blended. The result is a perfect cream.
- Add some pepper in the cream and keep it aside.
- When water is boiling, it’s the moment to pour pasta and let it cook for few minutes. Just the time to make it a little softer (for example, no more than 7 minutes if the cooking time on the package is 10).
- Add a ladle of pasta water in the pan where you are keeping the oil and put it on the fire again, while you drain pasta.
- Pour the drained pasta into the pan with the oil and cook it, always stirring and being careful with cooking time. In this way, pasta will release its starch creating a delicious cream.
- Once cooked for 3 minutes (al dente !) add the eggs cream, turn off the fire and keep stirring to make it dissolve properly in the pasta for another minute.
- Ready ! Add guanciale stripes you kept aside and just a little spinkle of pepper.
Serve the best Carbonara ever and enjoy with someone you love !